Sunday, October 5, 2008

Comments on Webb Study Favoring a 250 Seat Theater

As I read the article by William Kelly from Monday, I hope I have misunderstood this whole thing, because I can’t believe some of the suggestions that have come up over the years while we have been working to preserve this theatre.

Are there no theatre professionals who really know this area and the theatre itself to advise you? If not, may I be the first to volunteer my services? I have been a major player in this area for thirty years and have seen the antics that have gone on with the theatre’s preservation. The condition and shape of the theatre have been grossly exaggerated in a negative way to suit the advantage of the owners and time has been frittered away in putting this valuable community asset into a condition and circumstance that would benefit everyone.

I do not agree with changing the exterior of the theatre. It is a gem designed by a true artist. In cutting the theatre seating down, you will immensely limit the use that can be made of the facility. I am very familiar with the inside and the backstage area, as I have played there several times and attended many, many performances over the years.

I must commend Pat Flynn for his perseverance in the face of one disappointment after another in carrying the banner of this fight, which can only benefit the theatre community at large and the Palm Beach community, in particular.

Theatrically yours,

Jan McArt
Director of Theatre Arts Program Development
Producer
LYNN UNIVERSITY

No comments: